Teagan has been playing shy a lot these days. She even plans when she will be shy. On Sunday we went to have pictures taken. No smiles!! We have come to the realization that Teagan will not smile in a photo studio as someone she doesn't know makes faces and shakes things at her.
On the way to the day home yesterday she told me she was going to be shy and she was for the first part of the day.
Today we went to see Santa. I know it is early but I wanted to beat the rush and avoid the long lines. We talked about Santa and what Teagan would say and how she could be brave and tell him what she wanted. She was ready. Pulling me in fact to get closer. I of course fought back the tears as my little girl was going to meet Santa for the first time in her memory and I soaked in every second for her. When it was our turn she clung to me so hard I almost couldn't breathe. She buried her face in my shoulder and wouldn't even look at Santa. I sat by Santa with Teagan on my knee and tried to coax her to speak. All I got where nods or shakes as I told Santa what Teagan wanted for Christmas. She wouldn't even take the candy cane he offered her, I had to take it for her. Santa reminded me that there is still 33 days until Christmas and we could come back another time. We left and walked down the mall as Teagan crunched on her candy cane holding my hand chatting away about how she met Santa. I was thankful that she was only being shy and not terrified of him.
After we went to the toy store and I explained to Teagan that we were going to buy a toy for someone who would not get a toy for Christmas unless we bought them a gift. Teagan picked out a doll and we took it to the Salvation Army toy drive. The two women working there smiled as Teagan put the doll in the toy bin. I again welled up with tears at the lesson of charity I was teaching my daughter. As we walked away Teagan asked "Where's my baby?". I laughed and knelt down beside her to explain that she had lots of babies at home and that the baby we bought would go to a little girl who had no babies to play with. She nodded and kept walking to the pet store.
Being able to spend this time with my girl is absolutely priceless to me. She is my heart and my joy and I am so privileged to be her mommy. Be thankful for your children for they are truly gifts.
No comments:
Post a Comment